Exemple din articole cu penal settlement
- The penal settlement was established around 1830 and the English influence in the grounds was quite evident with enormous gnarled oak trees over 150 years old.
- An aerial photograph from 1942 shows a different group of mature trees growing in this location (most likely crack willows), which probably dated to the late 19th century after the penal settlement had closed.
- ... as Pitt said in defending the settlement in the House of Commons in 1791, 'no cheaper mode of disposing the convicts could be found'; he apparently disagreed with the opinion of the 1784 committee that the cost of a penal settlement ...
- They were en route to a penal settlement at Norfolk Island, where his parents surgeon D'Arcy Wentworth and convict Catherine Crowley were being transported.
- The Port Arthur penal settlement began life as a small timber station in 1830.
- Then it became a penal settlement for the Prisoners of the World war and later became a place for the convicts.